Monday, December 1, 2008

The Epic Journey of The Box

So it begins. . .


I packed gifts and souvenirs into The Box yesterday. I took The Box into work today to have it shipped back to the U.S. (my Mom and Dad's house in Edmonds, WA to be precise). I am shipping The Box via FedEx. From India. Things could go very smoothly. . .or not. . .



The Epic Journey of The Box begins in Bangalore at about 4:00pm IST (Indian Standard Time).

I hand The Box to our central production assistant, who has been charged with making all of this happen. I hand him a printout of the "ship to" address printed on it. I hand him a printout with the FedEx account number to use. He is kind enough to print out a "sent by" address label for me. I check and double check the addresses more than once.

The "ship to" address gets taped to the box, as does the "sent by" address. For some reason two members of our office security staff have just appeared. I'm not sure why. Maybe they heard about The Box and want to come take a look for themselves. Maybe they just need something to do this afternoon. The two of them make our little group a group of four, although I am not much more than the innocent, but obviously very interested, bystander. The others talk amongst themselves for a few minutes. There are then multiple phone calls placed to other people, two of whom suddenly appear a few minutes later. There are now six of us standing there staring at The Box. One of the group says something (in the local language, which probably is for the best as I undoubtedly do not want to hear what is actually being discussed), which is followed by a few moments of silence, followed by the other four chipping in with some comment or another, followed by more silence. This pattern is repeated a couple of times.

I'm not quite sure what to think at this point. I just want The Box sent. Other boxes get sent all around the world, all the time.

I do get a few chuckles and more than a few eye-rolls from the passersby who know what I am attempting to do. I'm glad I can provide them a little afternoon entertainment.

I am not sure who placed the actual phone call, or when said phone call was actually placed, but
the FedEx guy shows up a little after 5pm. I feel a little better now. This guy will surely take care of The Box. There's more talk. . .and then more silence. Finally they decide they need a list of the box contents and an overall value. I quickly provide both. There's more talk. . .and more silence. They all disappear somewhere downstairs for a little while. Actually more than a little while.

It is literally an hour from the time the FedEx guy first shows up to the time he leaves (hopefully/presumably with The Box). I do not see him actually walk out the door and put The Box on his truck. He does, however, present me with a FedEx International Air Waybill before he goes. On this little piece of paper is the all-important FedEx Tracking Number. I expect to make good use of this number over the coming days.

I will keep all of you apprised of the location of The Box, as I'm sure it's safe arrival at my Mom and Dad's is as important to all of you as it is to me. I appreciate all your good thoughts and well wishes.



How long will it take? I will wildly, possibly optimistically, guess at eight working days, which would put the package on my Mom and Dad's doorstep on or about the 10th of December. But I'll settle for anytime before Christmas. . .

Wait. . .who am I kidding?. . .I'll just settle for anytime!



No comments: