Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The First Posting


I can't seem to get this blog system to pre-date my blog entries, so I'm cramming the first 5 or 6 days into this first entry. The entries are in reverse date order (to match future blog entries), so start down near the bottom and work your way up. Please. Thank you.


5 August 2008 (Tuesday)
No ill effects from the ice-in-the-drinks yesterday. Perhaps a narrow escape, but an escape nonetheless. I think the fact that I've never been that adventurous an eater will serve me well over here. Having heard the horror stories from some co-workers already afflicted, I'm operating on the "better safe than sorry" plan over here.

By the way, I'm not a big fan of Indian food. Never have, probably never will be. I know. . .very strange to agree to come somewhere where I don't even like a lot of the native cuisine. While Bangalore isn't exactly a tourism hot spot, I do suspect that there are enough western companies (and hence employees) around that I don't anticipate this will be an issue (and "yes" I just knocked on wood).

4 August 2008 (Monday)

We dodge an ox-drawn cart on the drive into work this morning.

We are halfway done with our drinks at lunch today when we notice that we had forgotten to say "no ice". I suspect that the ice hadn't melted enough to put enough always-dangerous-to-westerners tap water into the drinks and hence into our gastro-intestinal system. This leads to the condition euphemistically called Bangalore Belly, which judging by the stories from afflicted co-workers is no day at the beach. So now I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see. . .

3 August 2008 (Sunday)
My first excursion into downtown Bangalore. I'm going to reserve comment and opinion until I go back a second time. The first time is completely overwhelming.

Although I did find this at a very small market on the way into the city. . .


2 August 2008 (Saturday)
A decompression day: didn't really do anything except try to get my head around where exactly I am. No small task.

I seem to have gotten away with a minimum of jet lag. I followed the common sense recommendations of setting your watch (and mental clock) to your destination time upon boarding the airplane, avoiding alcohol, and drinking plenty of water. I also took No Jet Lag pills. I don't really know if they help or not, but they certainly didn't hurt. The first day or two I was definitely ready to sleep by 7 or 8pm, and slept until 4 or 5am. Being busy during the day has certainly also helped. Slept until 6am this morning, so I'm now almost back a regular sleep cycle.

31 July 2008 (Thursday)
The earthquake hits at 11:42am in the greater Los Angeles area. It was definitely a pretty good shake. Biggest one since the 1994 Northridge quake. Harbinger of disaster or just a friendly reminder that my whole life is about to get a nice shake? Only time will tell. Either way a most auspicious beginning.

I land at just after 1:00am in Bangalore, India after leaving Los Angeles, California at 2:45pm on July 29th and a quick plane change in Frankfurt, Germany. A few quick facts about Bangalore, India: 1) Bangalore is situated in the southern state of Karnataka, right smack dab in the middle of the country, 2) Bangalore sits at 12 degrees 58 minutes north latitude 77 degrees 34 minutes east longitude at an altitude of about 3000 feet. Literally halfway around the world from my home in Hermosa Beach, 3) Bangalore is 12.5 hours ahead of the west coast of the United States, 4) the currency of India is the rupee (abbreviated Rs over here); at the moment about 42 rupees are equivalent to one U.S. dollar.



Learn more about Bangalore on the Wikipedia Bangalore Page.

I get through customs and immigration in a matter of moments. No one even asks me anything.

The ride from the airport to the hotel is quite an experience. The company has arranged drivers for all of us westerners, a very wise investment as I'm certain navigating the roads and all that come with them ourselves would certainly be the end of all of us in quick fashion. Stop signs are for decorative purposes only (seriously). Lane lines seem to be just as ignorable. There are speed bumps every quarter mile or so which at least seem to keep the speeds down to something reasonable. Most of the large trucks on the road do not have rear tail or brake lights. I begin to wonder just what I've gotten myself into.

Daylight brings with it even more revelations. This is certainly a land of high contrast. Our hotel is an very modern, 21st century oasis from the surrounding 3rd world country. It is totally foreign to this American who has lived an obviously very sheltered existence up 'til now. It's going to take some time for the mind to process all of this.

The Savannah Sarovar Hotel Bangalore, my home for the next week or two (their brochure image looks much better than my daytime picture):