Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Sobha Rose

Welcome to my home-away-from-home for the next few months: The Sobha Rose. "Sobha" is the name of the development company, "Rose" is the name of this particular development.


This is a serviced apartment, meaning I'll get some kind of maid service a few times a week. I'm not yet sure what that means exactly. The unit has 3 bedrooms and 3 baths (so if anyone wants to come visit I'll have room!). I'm on the lucky-number-13 top floor, but the unit number is 1135. Hmmm. . .

Let's take a brief photo tour of the inside.

Looking at the main living area from just inside the front door

and the opposite view from near the bedrooms.


Next, the kitchen. And a strange little kitchen it is. A small refrigerator (it's around the corner on the left hand side in the photo), a microwave, a separate 4-burner gas cooktop (although the gas isn't hooked up at the moment), and a small electric induction cooktop, which is supposed to boil water and warm liquids up very quickly. The one thing missing (besides an oven). . .go ahead and guess. . .you'll never guess. . .



. . .there's no running hot water in the kitchen. I know!! I had the exact same thought you just did. I am perplexed to say the least. Perplexed and befuddled.

Let's quickly just move on before I run straight to the airport. . .

what's next. . .

Oh. . .each bathroom has it's own separate (and fairly small) water heater.

The tanks are probably 10 gallons. maybe 15? I'm predicting speedy showers for my near-term future.

The views from the unit:



But don't let the serene views fool you too much. If there were an audio track to accompany these photos you would right now be searching for your "mute" button. There's a constant din consisting of barking dogs, honking horns and gale-force winds. There are several "vents" in the unit that are open to the outside world; it sounds like the interior of an airplane in here. But I'll save comment on the surrounding chaos for later posts.

The complex also has a small gym and pool. The pool is only about 3 feet deep and does not seem to be heated, so it's more of a wallowing pool, and then only when the sun has been out for a few days (which it hasn't been, but more on the weather later this week).



That's kind of it. I think it's safe to say there are a few minor adjustments to make and challenges to meet, and that's just in the apartment.

That which does not kill me makes me strong.